Saturday, April 5, 2008

Under the Same Moon

Go see La Misma Luna and fall in love with the little boy in it.

La Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon) is the story of a nine year old boy making the dangerous journey of crossing the U.S. border alone in hopes of being reunited with his mother in Los Angeles. I really don’t want to give too much away because I went into the movie not knowing what it was about and I think that was the best way to go.

His performance was amazing though, and I kept leaning over to my friend and whispering, “I hope he gets nominated for an Oscar.” She later told me that she never thinks about stuff like that, because she doesn’t watch award shows. Part of what I love about Oscar season is finding out what’s nominated and going to watch or rent movies that I either completely missed or had intentionally tried to avoid (i.e., The English Patient. It was nominated for EVERYTHING and when I finally watched it I saw why).

I hope HE gets nominated because he did such a wonderful job and needs to be commended. I hope the movie gets nominated because it approaches a sensitive and relative subject (especially here in Texas) in a way that doesn’t step on too many toes, but raises awareness. And the film touches on a number of different issues that undocumented workers in America face-- some dangerous, some even more dangerous.

And the tomato scene?! Yeah, we eat those bad boys. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

It’s good. It’s not one of those movies that is completely depressing. It’s actually very funny and loving and about friendship and determination and how being a genuinely nice person can take you far in life.

No comments: