Monday, June 15, 2009

Donate Life


I recently became a legit organ donor. I have made it clear to my family throughout the years that this is my wish (along with cremation), but actually solidified my commitment by registering. I know that a lot of people feel uneasy about this, but for myself I have always seen it as something natural. When my life ends, it ends. But if this decision allows someone else to live a better, healthier, longer life, then GREAT! I can only hope that if I (or my family) am ever in need of a donor that one will be available. I can’t imagine knowing that the life of someone I love could be extended IF there was an available donor. It is heartbreaking to know that something is possible, but not for you.

I registered with Donate Life Texas, but there are registration sites for all states.

And a few tidbits for you:

MYTH: Only your heart, liver and kidneys can be transplanted.

FACT: Organs that can be donated include the heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines. Tissues that can be donated include the corneas, skin, bone, heart valves and tendons.

MYTH: Donation will mutilate my body.

FACT: Donated organs, tissues and eyes are removed surgically in a routine operation. Donation doesn't disfigure the body or change the way it looks in a casket.

MYTH: My family will be charged for donating my organs, tissues and eyes.

FACT: No costs directly related to organ, tissue or eye donation are passed on to the family. A nonprofit organ procurement organization (OPO) will pay these costs.

MYTH: My religion does not support donation.

FACT: Most mainstream, organized religions approve of organ, tissue and eye donation and consider it an act of charity.
(I love how they became experts on mainstream religion)

1 comment:

Melissa-D said...

I signed up for this about a year ago! It's so nice to have that card in my wallet to know that everyone knows what I want! Congrats on becoming "official!"