Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Handwritten letters never go out of style

When I graduated from high school and received tons of gifts from friends and family my mother was very adamant about me sending thank you cards to everyone in a timely manner. At the time I knew that sending thank you cards were polite and expected, but I was also overwhelmed by the amount that I had to do and sort of slacked on the project. At one point I decided to address all of the envelopes first and then write the cards, but somehow some cards did not end up in the correct envelope so people received notes written to other people. Wonderful.
.
I’m much better now. In fact, I love writing thank you cards. Of course, the stationary is a big part of the excitement for me. I love building up my stationary collection. And I like going to the post office and picking out cute stamps. I only use stamps to send out cards, and I rarely send any out, isn’t that sad? I get stacks full of junk mail but I rarely have anything for the postman to deliver for me.
.
Yesterday I received the sweetest surprise:

So let me back up. A few months ago I had received an email about making a donation to the Page Turners Book Drive. Page Turners is an after-school program in NYC that my favorite Robert helps with. Now, I absolute love how they set this up. They created a wish list on Amazon.com of all the different books they wanted, sent you the link, and you simply picked a few books and had them shipped to them in New York. Even though I’m all the way over here in Texas I was still able to help out.
.
I had completely forgotten about this, and actually Robert had already thanked me through email and that was more than kind enough. But these little notes really touched me. The directors of the program also included a formal letter that filled me in on the program and the success of the book drive.
.
Did they need to send a letter? No. Did the kids need to create a handmade letter? Not at all. But the fact that they did was not only a kind gesture, but reminded me of the importance of giving and how it really does benefit someone. And how an unexpected note in the mail immediately brightens your day.
.
And if you want to donate a book or two and help build their library, you still can!

No comments: