Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bottle-shaped body like Mrs. Butterworth's

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm not a huge breakfast person. Cereal is just dandy for me. My family, on the other hand, loves breakfast. Loves cooking breakfast. In the morning. When I'm still asleep. I think what it comes down to is that I don't like to wake up to the smell of breakfast. Eggs, diced potatoes, pancakes, muffins, bacon or any other meat--kill me now.

The only smell I like waking up to is coffee.

Now I like to eat those things, but I need to have been awake for a good while. I think this is why I love brunch, because I can eat these things and not want to die.

I like pancakes enough, but they're pretty thick and make you full so fast...and I really don't like syrup. Or I thought I didn't. The best thing that came out of the low-carb craze 10 years ago was sugar-free syrup!


It's runny, not too sweet--perfect! If you have any fav. sugar-free syrup brands let me know, because I feel like there is one out there with a sort of pecan-nutty taste that I've had before.

It's Sunday morning and last night I told myself I was going to make blueberry pancakes. I brought some leftover wheat flour with me from Waco that I've been wanting to use. I found this recipe, cut it in half, and substituted my wheat flour for the regular stuff

(note: they were very good but very dense because of the wheat flour)

(note note: I always burn the first pancake...or two...and therefore since I halved the recipe I had just enough batter to make two small pancakes)

(note note note: I say I don't like really pancakes , but Cafe Cappuccino in Waco, TX has THE BEST pancakes ever and I will always/only order one there. Banana Nut or Chocolate Chips with Pecans? Yes please.)

Blueberry Pancakes
1½ cups flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup milk
1 large egg
1 Tbs vegetable oil
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
maple syrup

1. Stir together first 4 ingredients; make a well in center of mixture.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.

3. Pour about ¼ cup batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn and cook other side. Serve with maple syrup.

Yield: 8 to 10 pancakes

No comments: