Friday, August 21, 2009

Bookish

Since I'm no longer forced to read for class, and watching mindless television seems a bit wrong*, I decided to pick out some books to read. Now, usually when I get into bookworm mode I have the urge to go out and buy a new book. I don't know about you, but my bookshelf has at least a dozen books I have bought and never read, or books that I know I need to reread.

And so, while browsing my own library I settled on The Great Gatsby. Yes, we all read it in high school, but after reading the first few pages I was already blown away at the literary style, and really, by the first few lines:

.....In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
...."Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
.....He didn't say any more, but we've always been unusually communicative in a reserved way, and I understood that he meant a great deal more than that.

And so I'm revisiting the Roaring Twenties, and I'm picturing those shapeless shift dresses women wore that still managed to make them look either glamorous or elegant, but always exquisitely feminine. And their dapper men with their hair slicked to the side, and how a time of prohibition really brought out the exhibitionist in everyone.

And I happened to find this article as I was looking for pictures. A possibly remake? I've actually never seen the Robert Redford version. I'll need to rent it once I'm finished.



*Mindless television does not include the new seasons of Project Runway, Top Chef, or the Rachel Zoe Project. Clearly those fall into the category of educational television.

3 comments:

rena said...

or Gossip Girl?
I really want to re-read this book. We watched the movie in HS, and I remember it kind of being cheesy, but that might have also been that one movie we read in BIC? About the girl's "coming of age?" The Awakening or something? I'd watch the movie anyways :)

l.borrego said...

You're thinking of A Room with a View. The movie was sort of lame. Did we actually read the book or were we able to just watch the movie? Oh Kirsten and her fabulous salad. I was scared of her all four years until I had her for that class.

And clearly GG is educational. I'm horrible at puns and innuendoes, and GG always teaches me something new. "That mother chucker!"

XOXO

Laura said...

Rena could that book we read in BIC about Girls coming of age be "Reviving Ophelia" by Pipher (sp?) and I have it on my shelf b/c of course after I read the excerpt in BIC I was entharalled by it and had to see what the author was doing with the whole piece. It's totally worth reading! Ok and now I'm thinking maybe that was a class yall got to take that I didn't b/c of my major?