Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chopped.

Gina: Well "Sinead O'Rebellion." Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior.
Debra: God, that is so clever. I swear you get smarter the shorter your skirt gets.
Gina: And you get smarter the shorter your hair gets, so it's probably a good thing you went with that. It's a wonderful look for you darling.
-Empire Records

I love that movie! Well I didn't go as short as Deb, but I did chop off my hair! I have been wanting to grow out my hair and donate it for a long time. I have tried growing it out before, but always got fed up with how unkempt it looked or how limp and stringy it can be. In March '07 I evened out my hair into bob and started growing it out. Nearly 2 1/2 years later I finally had enough to donate! I really did love having long hair: the long ponies, the big long curls--but really these past two months it has looked so terrible, and the Houston humidity did not help. What really sealed the deal was when I was running last week. My hair is usually drenched in sweat after I run, but it was swinging from side to side and slinging sweat, like, towards other people! I finally had had it.

So I made an appointment and took in a collage of Nicole Richie's famous bob (Jessica's pic was what i did not want):

I also brought a back up page just in case I chickened out:

But in the end, it was time for it to come off, and I love it!
It may not look like it, but I'm donating a little over 9", and the stylist actually cut off at least another inch, if not more. I love my new short hair, and I'm already thinking about what my next short hair cut will be! It is long enough right now that I can pull it back in a short perky ponytail for runs :)

I donated to Beautiful Lengths because the minimum required length was 8" (Locks of Love's min. is 10"). Beautiful Lengths also makes wigs that will be given to women, while Locks of Love gives wigs to children. Obviously there is a need for both, so both organizations are great. This is a goal I had a set a long time ago, and I'm happy that I finally accomplished it!
And I forgot how a fresh new look makes you feel like you have a fresh start too. I like that, I'm ready what's next.

3 comments:

rena said...

loves.it.

Melissa-D said...

So cute!! I've always wanted to do that, but I've never made it (I get frustrated with my hair long before it gets long enough!). However, 8" I could probably do!!

Sarah Beth said...

it's so cute! I feel inspired to snip snip the mane I've got going...way to go!