Tuesday, September 29, 2009
My #1 go-to nail color is OPI's Skinny Dip'n in Lake Michigan. I've used it for years. It's the perfect neutral and has the finest bits of shimmer in it. A manicure using a neutral color seems to last much longer than a bold color, simply because it’s more forgiving when the polish chips.
I always turn to this polish when attending nicer events, going to a job interview or for weekends that require lots of costume changes because it matches every outfit. If you feel like your hands look too naked with a neutral slip on a chunky ring or bracelet.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Friday, September 25, 2009
Wow, this is such a surprise. I wasn’t expecting to ever get a Kreativ Blogger Award, but I’m truly honored. I have to thank Sirena over at On an Island in the Sun for giving me this award. Crazy, I’m so ready for you to ditch Bahrain for a few months for the great state of Texas!
OK, so apparently there are some contingencies with this award:
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might not know.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.
So 7 things about me…
1. I’m a creature of habit, especially when it comes to breakfast. I will eat the same thing every day for months before I switch it up. Currently I’m obsessed with Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins (toasted on a George Foreman!) with Peter Pan Reduced Fat Crunchy Peanut Butter and a drizzle of local honey. I also eat this as a snack before a long run or session at the gym—so good and doesn’t upset the tum-tum!
.....a. Did I just say tum-tum?
2. When I was in Turkey I ate the same thing every morning as well—and I lucked out that these favorites were always available at every hotel we stayed at: Two slices of bread with green fig jam and a few assorted olives. Why olives? Because they were available and I loooooove olives and it was great way to end my sweet breakfast with something salty!
.....a. The coffee served at breakfast is not the infamous Turkish Coffee, but Nescafe. Gag me/talk about an unexpected caffeine withdrawal on top of jetlag.
.....b. PTL I packed a few packets of Tazo Chai tea, though I ended up having to ration my stash.
3. I share my birthday with the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos and enjoy absolutely everything about that holiday—The colors, the paper flowers, the personalized skeletons, the remembrance of loved ones in such a fun and festive way. Check out this picture from a photo shoot inspired from this holiday:
4. For some reason I have always fostered ill feelings towards flan, even though I have never tried it. I am currently obsessed with learning how to make the perfect flan in hopes of forging a new respect for it, and I think this recipe might do the trick!
5. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned how much I enjoy LOST, even though half the time I have no idea what is going on. Don’t even try to make me understand time travel and how my past can be your future, etc. Also, I have to make myself stay away from this site because I end up spending hours reading about characters and trying to come up with connections/theories. Will they bring back Charlie? What happened to Claire? How are there two Locke’s? Is Ben a good guy or bad guy? Who’s excited about Season 6????
6. I take no less than three bubble baths a week. Sometimes I read magazines in there, sometimes I’ll listen to music, but mostly I just sit there quietly and move the bubbles around and listen to the water drip-drip-drip from the faucet. Avon has the best product in terms of bubble volume/density, and it’s cheap so I don’t feel bad using twice the suggested amount!
7. I’m not afraid to cut my own bangs, I’ve been doing it for years. When I was in elementary school I decided to cut my bangs and messed up. I cut them at the length I wanted them while they were wet, so once they dried they were short. Really short. Above my eyebrows. (These short bangs are semi-in style now/wouldn’t be so strange looking, but we’re talking about the late 80s when big bangs ruled) To remedy my mistake I simply raised my eyebrows so that the vast empty space between them and my bangs was lessened. It was like a long-lasting look of surprise. My mother questioned how long I could last with such an expression, and I told her forever. After about 25 mins. I had a horrible headache and had to embrace my baby doll bangs.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
I actually like the ease of entering info into BTT over MMR, but I do actually map my run on MMR. For now, I'm entering my info into both sites.
See, yet another reason why I need a Garmin. Less mapping, more running.
Also, I was able to go for a run at 11:45 am this morning! How? Because Houston received a tiny cold front. 73 degrees out there, didn't even mind that it was humid. Le sigh...there really is an autumn.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
You can read about their story here. It seems from the earliest posts that Sara found out she had breast cancer, and around the same time found out she was pregnant. Her husband Brady is an amazing writer and took the time to chronicle their journey these past 7 months.
Their baby Chloe was born on Sept. 8, 2009. Sara was able to spend 9 wonderful days before a series of seizures forced her into semi-comatose state. Sara passed away on Tuesday, Sept. 22.
Please keep Brady in thoughts. He is mourning the loss of his best friend, while celebrating the joys of being a new dad. And also baby Chloe--her mother fought with everything she had to ensure her daughter would be born healthy and strong.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
But that just changed about 7 minutes ago.
The Lil Bee, a blog that I've recently been keeping up, just informed me that it's launched its very own iPhone application, Feather Report. What's a Feather Report? A fashion + weather update. Brills.
You type in your location, let it know the occasion (Happy Hour, Girl's Night Out, Date Night, Shopping Spree), and it will generate outfit suggestions.
I mean, I feel like this would be beneficial to my life, it would give me back all of the time that I spend trying on my entire closet to find one outfit. It's some friendly guidance, like having your bestie at your side to help you make up your mind. And I'm sure it would also help me "build" my wardrobe too. Just look at this outfit. I have white shorts, a denim purse, some nude sandals...but I don't have a top quite like that. I can remedy that though.
Must get a iPhone.
Let's talk about how I just started using some of the BB applications and features because I really am not tech savvy and didn't even know about BB chat. Maybe the iPhone will make me tech savvy.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
One of my gifts: A fleece footed-onesie with moose all over it!
Since I've been running the bridge I know when/where it starts to become difficult for me. For some reason running up the southbound lane is much easier than running up the northbound lane, so runs 1 & 3 up were fine. Run 2 semi drains me but the run down is fabulous (don't you love running downhill? It's like you're flying!) oh, but run 4 up the bridge! I mean, I can never run up it, by then my glutes are dunzo. Yes, this bridge does a number on the tush. It's equally painful to run/walk up it. But I finally made it up and then knew I had a bout a mile and a half left on flat road and just went for it!
My little fam were nice enough to get up early and snap a few pics/cheer me on.
I love how dramatic my face is here, haha
Trying to smile and show how much fun I'm having...
A really great run. I was pleased with my time, though I'm looking forward to comparing my race times between this 10K which had these huge climbs and my next 10K which will be on flat road.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
While browsing bellasugar I came across an entry that contained two of my faves: Marc Jacobs and OPI nail polish. For his Spring 2010 fashion show he used "the following shades (L to R): Samoan Sand, a warm beige-pink; Malaysian Mist, a light and sunny warm pink; Barefoot in Barcelona, a luscious nude; and Dulce de Leche, a sweet creamy nude. Every model was topped off with OPI Matte Nail Envy ($15) for a low-shine finish."
As an OPI junkie I am definitely going to check these out. I'm particularly interested in the Dulce de Leche. Of course, tonight I went against Marc's spring vision of neutral nails and went with OPIs Lincoln Park at Midnight for my fingernails, a dark, near black, purple. Fall is creeping in and I thought I would embrace it with some vamp nails, but now I'm having second thoughts. What's a good shade for fall???
According to the current issue of Fitness, grey is the new fall trend to try on your nails and they suggest Sally Hansen's Hi-Definition Nail Polish in Opulent Cloud. Apparently this whole line is very shimmery, but this color seem to be getting rave reviews (Click here to read the blog where I lifted this pic). I do like the idea of a shimmery grey over a matte or flat grey. Hmm...decisions, decisions....
Monday, September 14, 2009
It's really not that bad tasting. I have a case of the Tropical Fruit and it taste like a juice/nectar that is lightly carbonated. I keep meaning to add a bit of seltzer water to it to give it more fizz. I'm not completely dedicated to drinking it everyday, but I try to drink a couple each week, especially when I'm feeling some soreness in my knees or after I take a spin/step class.
Miranda: This is a miracle, I am in my skinny jeans. I haven’t fit into these since 1985, and that is only because I had mono.
Charlotte: How'd you do it?
Miranda: Well, I got pregnant, became a single mother, and stopped having any time to eat.
Samantha: Oh, that's a diet I won't be trying.
Loves it. However, don't we all have a pair of skinny jeans that either keep us accountable or that are our "goal" jeans that we slip on every once in a while? For me, it's a pair of jeans from Old Navy. Not only are they one of my most favorite pair of jeans ever, but they truly live up to their name.
I own these in the color Rinse, which is a fairly dark color. They are a great skinny jean without being completely stuck to your calves. The look great with flat or heels, with a t-shit or a blouse. I love the cut of these jeans so much that I own them in white as well. But really, it's the Rinse version I'm here to talk about. I feel as though there is ZERO stretch in these bad boys. Maybe there's a little, but honestly, there's not much. The white jeans definitely have stretch in them and after a few hours of wear become a bit loose. Not the Rinse jeans though. You can wear them for days hoping to stretch them out, but it will be of no use. What you see is what you get. You either fit comfortably in them or you don't.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Today, however, I saw a man walking his dog. Another dog--not leashed--was bugging them. I decided to walk past them rather than run in case the dog ran after me. No sooner had the old man and his dog left my peripheral vision did I suddenly have a new best friend. The boxer was suddenly walking alongside me. I tried to ignore him. I even stopped dead in the middle of the street, but he stopped right next to me. I tried to shoo him away, he smiled back at me. So I started running again, and guess what? He came with.
He was a really pretty dog, and clearly still a puppy. Sometimes he'd get distracted by a cat and he'd dart across the street, but he always managed to catch back up. Well, I was in a specific neighborhood, and if I kept running I knew I would lead him further away from home. So I just stopped there and hoped someone would come out of their house at 7 am looking for their pup. No one did. I stood/walked around for 25 mins. I couldn't stand there all day. I decided to run back home, but that meant crossing a major street. Well, we both made it across the street and I just ran inside the house. I was sort of hoping he'd leave, even though I was nervous about him getting it by a car. I went to go peek at the door to see if he was still there and who was looking back at me?
Friday, September 11, 2009
It has been raining off and on every day this whole week here in Houston, which has really put a kink in my running schedule. I got a bit spoiled from being able to run outside the past two weeks and now I can't bare the thought of having to go run on a treadmill. Each time I think it's going to rain, it doesn't. When I finally get ready to run--monsoon. When I go to the gym I intentionally walk right past the treadmills and go to classes. Ugh. Maybe I just need to embrace the humidity and the muddy puddles like these folks.
So how do you wear such a bright color? I did some research and found that nude lids, clean-lined eyes and a light bright pink blush on the apples of your cheeks is all you need. For the lips, apply the color and blot. I had a pinky-plum lipstick on hand that I experimented with. Here’s what I used:
Revlon ColorStay Eye Shadow Quad in Coffee in Coffee Bean
Calvin Klein Flush With Desire Velvet Blush in Attraction
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
It really was fun to pull out a random postcard out of the mailbox and see who and where it was from. Well, I had been trying to figure out what to do for my postcard...to make or buy? I tried to find one, but of course when you go looking for something specific you can never find it, ie., a postcard. Where do you buy postcards? I bet you in 12 months when this is over I'll find them everywhere. Well, I opted to make mine...
I decided that the postcards I send will be centered around things are reflective of me. So...I love daschunds! Mine goes in the mail tomorrow and will head north to Ottawa, Canada. The project lasts one year so I should be getting/sending 11 more postcards. I'll be sure to show them off here each month!
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
1. (In staff pose, sitting with legs straight in front and reaching for my toes) I need to repaint my toenails, but what color? Maybe a neutral pink…I like bright pinks though and I’m still tan…I need to shave my legs tomorrow….I'm ashy...
2. (In bridge pose, feet planted to the floor, hips lifted to the ceiling) This feels so good, and yep, my back just popped, I wonder if anyone heard that…(looks in mirror) ew, bridge pose is not sexy…
3. (While in downward dog) Oh my gosh, why is there hair on my mat? Whose hair is that? Gross. They don’t ever clean the floors in here. I need to stop looking around and relax my neck. That feels better. Is my shirt coming up?
4. (Happy baby, lying on back holding the inside of your feet shoulder distance apart, knees bent) Yay! My favorite pose! I don’t care how inappropriate this looks, this is the most comfortable pose ever. Do babies really do this? Who comes up with the names of these poses?
5. (In chaturanga, push up position hovering over the floor) Whatever, I’m laying down, I’m not even attempting this. OMG, that old man is so strong! Why can’t I do this?
6. (In triangle pose) Do not forget to call _______ back. My hair is falling down. Oooh, it’s tickling my nose. I can kiss my knee.
7. (Warrior III) I don’t get this, how does this look like a warrior? It should be called wolf pose because I feel like I’m howling at the moon. Oh! Cramp in the back, cramp in the back!
8. (In cobra) How long has she been doing yoga? I love her voice. She’s so nice. Maybe it’s the endorphins from teaching so many classes. Maybe working out makes you nice.
9. (Relaxation pose) The music makes me feel tingly. My face feels tingly. I feel the ocean waves washing over me. Why can’t I ever feel like this when I try to go to sleep? I wonder if I should get a sound machine. I hate falling asleep to noise though. But I love this. Maybe I’m relaxed, but my mind is still active. Maybe I can’t really fall asleep in here.
10. (Affirmation time) I love that she speaks an affirmation over us! What will it be this week? Do not forget what it is so you can put it on Facebook. This is like lectio divina, she says it three times and gives you time for it to sink it. OK, don’t forget. Oh, I do love life. It’s so true. Wait, was it “I love life, and I’m happy I’m alive” or “I love life, and I’m grateful to be a part of it?” “I’m thankful I’m a part of it?” Whatever. I love life. I love lamp. Haha.
Other fall time favorites: pumpkin scented candles and the Pumpkin Cheesecake from Olive Garden (oh don't worry, I had some on Sunday).
I almost got carried away today and bought a jacket. I resisted. We still have a few more weeks before we can bust out light sweaters and jackets.