Sunday, October 18, 2009

Finding balance...

Um, where have I been? This last week was insane in the membrane. Waking up at 5:45 am, passing out by 8:30 pm, only to wake up again at 10 pm a bit wired and having to force myself to sleep. This was my sleep routine every day this week. On top of that I wore horrible (yet beautiful) shoes on Monday and could barely make it out to my car at the end of the day. My feet ached all week.

Confession: I did not run Wed or Thurs. Excuses, excuses, I’m sad I broke my plan to run 30 consecutive days, but I can say those were much needed days of rest.

Excuse for not running Wednesday:


I SAW U2!!!!!!!!! A total surprise. In the middle of the day I received an email from my aunt who wanted to know if I’d be interested in seeing U2 that night. Um, hello! YES! After a v. full and tough day with kindergarteners I jumped in my car and drove straight home to change. This quick-change also included a short rest on my bed. I truly almost couldn’t get up, and I was falling asleep trying to drive over to meet my aunt. I was just so worn out. But we are talking about U2 and I was not about to miss it! Muse went on first and they were phenomenal! I had only heard one of their songs before, but they are so my favorites now! I came home and downloaded the set list from the concert. They’re like Ozma/The Killers with a little Freddie Mercury thrown in. Then U2 came on…

I mean, they’re iconic. I can’t believe I saw them. Bono has so much energy! They all do! And he has some pretty interesting stage moves…and big stacked shoes. And The Edge—beanie, flannel, black tank, paint splattered fashion jeans. They played lots off the new album, but threw in some classics: Mysterious Ways, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, Where the Streets Have No Name, and With or Without You.


They also sang Walk On, which was written as a tribute to Burmese elected Prime Minister Aung San Suu Kyi, who has been under house arrest on and off since 1990 (14 years of house arrest). She won the election in 1990, but the military junta refused to honor the results of the democratic election. The few times that she has been released from house arrest she has remained in Burma, knowing that if she were ever to leave she would not be allowed to return. Though she is separated from her husband and children (who live in the UK), she is committed to the Burmese and fighting for their democratic movement. Needless to say I cried at the concert.

You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been
A place that has to be believed to be seen
You could have flown away
A singing bird in an open cage
Who will only fly, only fly for freedom



Walk on, walk on
What you've got they can't deny it
Can’t sell it, can’t buy it
Walk on, walk on
Stay safe tonight



And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

And I may cry again…

Thursday I was feeling ill. My throat was hurting and I was pulling in a zero on my energy level. I chose to just stay in and rest.

After a long day at work on Friday I came home ready to run, and run I did! I was only supposed to run 2 miles but I ran a great, fast, and steady 4 miles, then took the daschund for a mile walk as a cool down. I felt like I could have run forever, which is always such a great feeling!

And last night saw Where The Wild Things Are. I loved it! I cried little monster tears at the end (What is up with me and crying this week?!) Spike Jonze did a phenomenal job. I’m going to go see it again next weekend.


OK, I think I’m back on track with my life. I’m busy studying, figuring out my Halloween costume, and enjoying our fabulous weather here in Houston! I love cool temps and sunshine.  I'm also trying to find a balance between these long, exhausting days of work, running, and just being healthy in general (aka, trying to avoid swine flu).  I'm ready for a new week :)

3 comments:

Running 365 said...

What a busy week! I don't think any sane person could turn down U2. I hate that you've been sick and that work has been exhausting. So you are a kindergarten teacher?

rena said...

so freaking' busy. also, i need help with halloween, i have a few ideas. and i need to see that movie.
xoxo

Meredith said...

A concert is always a great excuse for not running!