Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pecan-Covered Cheese Block‏

This weekend is FULL of festivities, so I’m trying to get a few things done ahead of time. Tomorrow I have work, then my last fitting for my Halloween costume, aka, going to my grandmother’s house to pick up my costume and make sure she didn’t leave any straight pins in it! Then I’m going to a housewarming party. I’m always looking for new easy recipes for such events. After doing some research I found two that I’ll be using this weekend (the other to be taken to a Halloween party on Saturday).

I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website for a Pistachio-Covered Cheese Log. I made a few changes, mostly to the name. "Cheese Block" sounds a little more appetizing than "Cheese Log". Gross.

I might have already taste-tested this and it’s simple but delicious. Also, if I make it again I’ll use reduced fat/fat free cream cheese. I think there’s a enough flavor in the other ingredients and air whipped into it to all you to cut some fat!

Pecan-Covered Cheese Block‏

• 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 cup grated muenster or a sharp, white cheese
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup pecan pieces
• Crackers, for serving, such as Wheat Thins


1. With an electric mixer beat cream cheese, cheddar, Dijon, and Worcestershire until well combined; season with salt and pepper (taste first, I found it needed a pinch of salt but a lot of pepper). Cover, and refrigerate until slightly firm, 1 to 2 hours.
2. Toast pecan pieces and then transfer to a plate; let cool.
3. Transfer cheese mixture to a piece of waxed paper and shape into a 6-inch-long log/brick. Cover with pecans. Wrap in a fresh piece of waxed paper; chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours (or up to 1 day). Serve with crackers.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yum! I think I'll have to try this out! Perhaps in a few hours after I've been to the store! :)

l.borrego said...

It was so easy and yummy! Everyone ate it. I would suggest sticking with making it a log shape though. When I made it into a block it just look like a block of cream cheese with nuts on it! A log may have looked a bit nicer, or you could even just make it into a cheese ball.