Sunday, October 4, 2009

Soup Season

In this month’s issue of Fitness they have a section on soup recipes. I love soup. I usually make a pot and eat it the whole week...or in a few days if I eat it for lunch and dinner. You can find all of the recipes here. I tried the White Bean Chili and felt it was very bland. Despite cooking the meat with the onion and garlic it really had no taste. You definitely need to experiment and add some spices. And on the issue of spices, isn’t that a trademark of chili? This soup (and that’s what it was, soup and not chili) didn’t thicken and really needed to be kicked up a notch on the spicy side.

The next soup I tried was the Cannellini and Cabbage. I’m a fan of cabbage soups, and while there isn’t a whole lot to this recipe, I felt that the flavor was there. I’m usually not big on thyme, but this was the perfect amount of earthiness. A very simple soup, but still very comforting! Veggie friendly (use veggie stock or bouillon instead of chicken), and really cheap to make!  I think I spent less than $5 buying the canned goods and veggies.


Cannellini and Cabbage Soup
Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage (I used a bit more, and added more water and boullion to cover)
2 carrots, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced (I used lots of garlic powder, though I think real garlic would have been better)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans (14 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth (I used veggie boullion)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

Directions
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over high heat. Add cabbage, carrots, garlic, thyme, and pepper; cook 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, water, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Mash half the beans with a fork. Add all the beans to the pot. Heat through and serve.

Cals: 164 calories
Fat: 4
Carbs: 30
Fiber: 9
Protein: 11

1 comment:

rena said...

Hi, i love soups, will have to check it out