Monday, November 2, 2009

feliz cumpleaños..to me!

Today is my birthday!

I celebrated yesterday with family, foregoing cake in lieu of some beignets and coffee :) We had lunch on the boardwalk and the day was gorgeous—sunny, clear, blue skies paired with the bay breeze. It was also where my 10K across the bridge was held so everyone had the chance to check out the bridge! My mother kept asking, “Laurie, how did you do it? Did it feel like it was long?” Um, yes, the 4th time going up I was over it. After lunch we walked around and looked in the shops before getting down with the powdery sweets! Unfortch, I have no pictures because my camera died. It was working fine the night before, and now it’s being crazy. Let me just tell you that I go through camera like no other. I think this is my 3rd in two years. Ridiculous. I did take a pic with the BlackBerry of the beignets though:




It was a great day with the fam, and today—my actual birthday---was spent shopping! I found some great things, like this super cute top from the Lauren Conrad Collection:


I love LC. And Lo. Everyone else from Laguna Beach and The Hills and The City are lame, but LC! I feel like we would be besties. I'm adding her to my celebrity entourage. 

I finally ordered my Fuel Belt. Just in time too since my long runs are about to get longer and more frequent. Yay to not dying of thirst.


I also found lots of great running clothes at Target, where I thought I had a gift certificate to. Once in line I realized it was to Sports Authority. Why I thought it was to Target, I have no idea. I sure did spend over an hour in there too. No worries though because I was able to use it to buy my Fuel Belt and I have enough leftover to hold on to for something else! I’ll go back tomorrow and get my stuff from Target (why didn’t I just pay for it right then? I don’t know, I was in shock. I had this weird feeling that I was stealing or trying to steal something, or being fraudulent, I don’t know. I felt like I had to just drop everything and run.)

Birthday festivities will take place this weekend with friends, and I’m thinking Indian food!!!!

OH, and I made a fabulous stuffed acorn squash sans recipe tonight! I cooked the squash (halved, seeded, cut-side down in the over at 375 for about 30ish mins), finely diced some squash, zucchini, green onion, a bell pepper, and garlic—and sautéed it with lots of spices (cinnamon, thyme, pepper flakes, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, this Mexican tomato bouillon stuff my mom puts in everything). Then I added in some brown rice and a sprinkle of shredded Muenster cheese that I had leftover from the cheese log. Stuffed the squash and returned it to the oven for a few more mins and then devoured it! Acorn squash is in abundance right now in the stores so I think I’ll be making versions of this meal a lot. It was so good!

I’m so excited for the year of 28. I felt like 27 had a lot of good times, and a few difficult ones. I’m happy to leave it behind, though I’m grateful for all the people I met during this last year, the places I visited (TURKEY!), the things I accomplished, and the lessons I learned. I already know that 28 will have a lot of firsts in store for me, and the anticipation is almost too much! I’m ready.

5 comments:

rena said...

you are so cute, and I'm glad LC is in your entourage. I watch The Hills sometime still and I'm kind of a Kristin fan - I don't know why though...and happy birthday!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday! I love all your exciting plans!

Laura said...

28 is going to be a GREAT year friend! I'm with you- I think all sorts of goodness is in store for you! Yay! I'm glad your day was so wonderful! Much love!

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!! :)

Melissa-D said...

Sounds like a great birthday!! Yay for the fuel belt too...you'll have to tell me how you like it after you use it a few times!