Sunday, November 1, 2009

I got magic, Alakazamakazoo

It’s November!!!!! I love November because there are many great holidays, like my birthday (is that a holiday?!?), Dia de los Muertos, Election Day, and Thanksgiving! It also seems that November tends to fly by, and with every weekend already booked, I know it will be the same this year. However, I’m hoping to savor every day, stretch it out a bit more, and most importantly be thankful.

However, let’s wrap up October first. Last night we had a great Halloween party! Everyone’s costume was fabulous. My grandmother actually made my Tinkerbell outfit for me!  I think she's made almost all of my costumes, and it means so much to me that she's still willing to help me come up with something!  Here’s a few photos:
Tinkerbell, Alice, and Kitty




Kate Gosselin made an appearance!

So did Marty McFly and Forrest Gump


We all had a great time.  I also debuted my second party dish recipe this weekend and it was also a success! Martha Stewart’s Pears and Camembert.  It is so easy and quick to prepare, and really did not cost very much.  The cheese was $5 and I had everything else (and if I didn't I wasn't going to sweat it!)

• 1 8-ounce wheel Camembert or Brie cheese, cold (I used Camembert, but felt like it never really softened even after being left out for a while, so I may try this again with Brie)
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 large Bosc pear, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 2 tablespoons brandy (didn’t have any so omitted)
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish (didn’t have any so omitted)
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 8 walnut halves (used pecans)
• water crackers (served with slices of baguette and some Wheat Thins)

Directions
1. Slice cheese wheel in half crosswise; set aside. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add diced pear, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in brandy, and cook 1 minute more. Add rosemary, and stir to combine. Remove from heat, and spread pear mixture over bottom half of reserved sliced cheese wheel, reserving 2 tablespoons mixture for garnish. Transfer cheese to serving plate.

2. Return skillet to stove, and heat balsamic vinegar and honey until simmering. Simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 5 minutes. Pour half the glaze over cheese and reserved pear mixture; top with remaining half of cheese wheel and pears. Drizzle with remaining glaze, and garnish with walnut halves and rosemary. Serve immediately.


2 comments:

rena said...

yay halloween! also, the cheese was delish!

Laura said...

Yall looks super cute in your costumes! Nice job!