Sunday, December 27, 2009

Useful Gifts...in Use!

For Christmas I received a new cookbook and a mini food processor!  The Moosewood recipes are usually pretty simple to make and super delicious. AND all of these recipes are low fat.  The whole reason I wanted a food processor was so I could make my own hummus in batches and batches.  As I was looking through Moosewood I came across a recipe for Indian Chickpea Spread, which was essentially jazzed up hummus.

I made a few changes to the recipe, and the recipe below reflects said changes.  If you want the Moosewood recipe you'll have to buy the book!

Ingredients
1 can of chickpeas, liquid reserved
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup diced tomato (I used Rotel)
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
juice of 1/2 a lime
1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Sauté onion until softened. Add garlic, garam masala, cumin, red pepper flakes and cook for a min. Add tomato ; cover and simmer for 5 mins.



In a food processor blend chickpeas until smooth, using the reserved liquid to help thin out the spread.




Add chickpeas to the tomatoes; cook until heated through.

Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime.



Season with salt to taste.  I dipped baby carrots. YUM!


This was so easy and good!  It can be served warm or cold.  I would have loved to have some pita or naan bread to dip into it, and guess what?  There's a recipe for naan in my book and it looks simple! 

No comments: