Sunday, January 24, 2010

Getting ready for the ATX Half

I have 20 days until my next half marathon! I like to use the Smart Coach over at Runner’s World to figure out my training schedules, but this plan only has me running 3 times a week. I’m not sure why I’m complaining.

Every week looks the same with a 2 mi, 5 mi, then 6 mi run. There are no longer runs. I know that when I train for my next half I will really need to focus on long runs in the range from 10-12 mi because that is where I really started to slow down and cramp up. However, I’m going to just stick with this plan and just go out and have fun when I run Austin!

I’m also glad that they’ve added more spin classes at the gym. I was reading my Fitness Magazine yesterday and one cross training tip for runners is to do spin classes. I totally believe it. I used to be a spin class junkie when I lived in Waco. I would go 4 times a week. The resistance really does help build up your quads and hamstrings, and when I ran Houston those are the muscles that started to fail me towards the end.

So my workout plan for the next 20 days looks like this:

Mondays
2 mi run
Jillian Michaels ‘No More Trouble Zones’


Tuesdays
Spin Class


Wednesdays
5 mi tempo run


Thursdays
Spin Class


Fridays
Rest/Play!


Saturdays
Jillian Michaels ‘No More Trouble Zones’
Yoga


Sundays
6 mi run


And I’ve been very bad about not eating meat like I said I was going to. I need me that iron and protein! I also haven’t been to the grocery store in 2 weeks and keep living off of oatmeal or weird leftovers. I’m going to sit here and work on a meal plan and grocery list for the week.

Are there any staples you always pick up from the grocery store for the week?

5 comments:

Meredith said...

spinach, bananas, milk, cereal, chocolate, clementines (or other citrus fruit), apples, bag salad for dinners, grapes, Greek yogurt

Lindsay said...

Fage (nonfat greek yogurt), clementines, kashi 7 grain crackers, frozen blueberries (for oatmeal or smoothies)

rena said...

fruit is always a staple, everything else depends on my meal plan for the week

Vic said...

Looks like a fab plan! I'll see ya there in less than 3 weeks (eek)!

Staples are peanut butter and oatmeal and fruit for me.

TX Runner Mom said...

Have fun in Austin - that's agreat race and a fun course! For me...lots of fruit, sting cheese, Kroger "Carbmaster" yogurt, almonds, spinach (for smoothies), chocolate milk (for after my long runs)...