Saturday, March 20, 2010

Bearathon - CANCELLED

I will not lie, I am not sad.

1. I knew this was going to be a tough race and to make it through I was going to need near perfect conditions

2. The weather got crazy.  We have had sunny skies in Texas for the past week, but a cold front is pushing through and it started raining this morning around 6 a.m. The race was scheduled to start at 8 a.m.

By the time I arrived it was 39 degrees and monsooning.  It felt like you were getting hit by hail.  Packet pick up was crazy  because they had to move it in doors to Russell Gym, and everyone was coming in wet, but they did a great job.  These are college students that organize and run the whole race.  They then moved us into the SUB (Student Union Building for you non-Baylor folks) and told us they were postponing the race until 9 a.m., but if there was any lightning within 30 mins. of the start time it would be cancelled.  Obvs someone saw something.

So confession #1: I thought about doing the Half for about 2 hours this morning.  I drove 3 hours last night, rented a hotel room, bought all of my provisions--I was committed!  When I had to walk from my car to the registration, that committment was lost.  My shoes and socks were soaking wet, my legs were burning they were so cold, and I couldn't feel my hands.  Once inside I decided I would switch to the 5K.  I needed to run something.  However, the race got cancelled so ultimately I just stressed out for nothing.

So for the 2 hours I was out there all I did was check people out.  Men, women, small children--I wanted to know what they were wearing!  I like to do this for all races, but for weather conditions like this I was interested in what people chose.  I thought about wearing my tights, but then decided against them.  If I was going to be soaking wet I didn't want that water soaked into my tights.  I went with shorts.  I tried to find a rain jacket but failed, so I wore my pink pullover since it's made of a wicking material (and it really did dry quickly!)

Confessions #2: On Friday I googled searched "what to wear when running in rain." It was really helpful as I struggled to pack, especially about wearing a hat (and my Nike cap kept my face dry and wasn't soaking wet).  My favorite tip:

Don't Overdress
This is one of the biggest mistakes runners make when heading out for a rainy run. Wearing more layers will not keep you dry. Unless you're running with an umbrella over your head, you will definitely get wet. If you have tons of layers on, you will just be wearing more wet, heavy clothes. Dress for the temperature, as if it were a dry day.

Well, the temperature was freezing so I didn't dress for that!

Ok, so what I saw:
  • Lots of full length tights (men and women)
  • Arm sleeves and compression socks
  • Caps
  • Trash bags/plastic ponchos
  • A few rain jackets...
Basically, I need to add trash bags to my race day provisions.  They help keep you warm, dry, and protect against wind.  This is the third time I've wished I had one.  I'm going to just buy a box and keep them in my trunk.

Jackets: I saw the new Nike rain jacket in white--it looks good!  I also saw a black Mizuno, and it looks pretty thin and sleek.  Lots of  North Face jackets too.  Hello, this is Baylor.  They love them some North Face. 

I feel like gloves were a must, but I don't have water resistant gloves.  Do they make those?

So question: What do you wear when you run in the rain?

2 comments:

rena said...

answer: I don't run in the rain. ;) jk, if i did i would help!

Libby Jones said...

Great post! I had heard it was cancelled but when lightning stays in the area and it's a monsoon, can't say I blame them. I had to run a race, Stonebridge Ranch Half Marathon, a month ago in total rain ( blogged about it at http://theactivejoe.blogspot.com ). I actually believe that less clothes is better if it's a monsoon but not TOO cold. Less chafing, less weight when it gets wet. So my race was 50 degrees plus monsoon, so short sleeves + shorts. and almost went with sports bra + shorts. In colder rain, I go with tights, NO pants to cling or get heavy. Wicking jacket essential!

Good luck on your next race!