Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cooking Light Round 2: Hit & Miss

I made two more recipes from this month's Cooking Light mag: Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas, and Olives & Mediterranean Barley Salad.  The first was delicious and I'm making a double batch today for the week.  The Barely Salad was  meh, but I will take some of the blame since I subbed Israeli couscous for the barely (I coudn't find any).


The cauliflower and chickpeas were nutty and the brine from the olives tied it together.  Super simple and so good!

Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpeas, and Olives

1 head of cauliflower florets
24 Spanish olives sliced
8 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (I used powder)
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp fresh parsely

Combine everything together and put in a 450 degere oven for about 20 mins or until cauliflower is toasted.  That's is!

The Mediterranean Barley Salad was missing something.  I know I subbed couscous, but the overall flavor was bland.  It needed major seasoning, and I didn't enjoy the raw fennel.  I should have used celery instead.  I'm not going to go into details of how to make it, but essentially the salad is this:

Salad: cooked barley (or couscous), sliced fennel bulb, parsley, red onion, kalamata olives, cannellini beans, chopped walnuts. 

Dressing: EVOO, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, s&p.

It seems like it would be good, right?  I might try to tweak this.

Also on the plate is a Morning Star Mushroom Burger. Love those!

No comments: