Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sweet Potato, Spinach & Turkey Sausage Soup

Yesterday I wanted to make another soup and looked around the kitchen and fridge to see what I could throw together.  I loved the broth from the bean soup I had earlier in the week, and still had half and half leftover from that.  Then I remembered how much I love Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup and let that be my inspiration.



Saute 12 oz lean turkey sausage with Italian seasoning until browned.  Transfer to plate.  Saute chopped carrots, onion, garlic, and celery in some EVOO in the same pot. Add about 10 c. water,  5 veggie bouillon cubes, 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I like it spicy) and 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced.  Cover and simmer.  Once potatoes are cooked add cooked sausage, 1 package of frozen spinach (defrosted and drained), and 1 cup fat free half and half.  Sprinkle a little parm on top.

I win!  I never just throw things together, and it came out so good!

3 comments:

rena said...

first off, delicious!
second off, i like how "you might also like" is an entry from my wedding, 1. i look pale and 2. how did my wedding compare to sweet potatoes?

Running 365 said...

Okay, I have to admit when I saw that combo of foods in the title, my first reaction was, "Ick!" but after reading about it, it sounds pretty good. I need to be more brave about "throwing things together" too.

l.borrego said...

Haha, I wasn't creative enough to give my soup an amazing name. If you like sweet potatoes and sausage you'll like it! Olive Garden makes theirs with white potatoes, kale, and spicy Italian sausage.