Friday, April 2, 2010

Busy Bee

I'm a little behind on blogging considering all the cooking and buying I've been doing.  Know that I made Rachael Ray's Mushroom & Pablano Posole this week and it was eh.  A meatless posole is a stretch since the soup only has pork and hominy in it, but this recipe needs some tweaking.

Successful and new favorite recipe: banana ice cream!  OMG. No, for real.  You need to make this immediately and have your life changed.  I even made it for my parents and they were freaking out over how good it is.  I got the idea from over at Kath Eats Real Food, who I think got the idea from someone else.  You simply freeze bananas, the blend a few pieces in a food processor.  It takes a bit of work to figure out the scraping and spooning, but after 5 minutes of blending you have something that has the same creamy consistency of ice cream, with no added milk or sugar!



Yeah, I topped mine with a bit of unsweetened coconut and walnuts.  Maybe I had one for breakfast and one after dinner.  Hey!  It's just a banana!

I'm running the Earth Day 5K tomorrow and did a bit of shopping for some new shorts and a top (hello, race day outfits is one of my favorite things to shop for!)  I got a little distracted at Target and picked up some random stuff as well, like new sunglasses and a boar bristle brush and a few SOYJOY bars.  I was actually checking out the dietary info in the Luna bars since I bought a few of them a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm trying to avoid gluten I wasn't sure if I should eat them.  They have gluten.  So I was looking at the other bars and SOYJOY's are gluten free.  Then I found this:


Someone kindly left two coupons for SOYJOYs!  One was a $1 off a box and the other was a buy two get one free.  Since I've never tried them before I went with the later coupon.  Thank you, Stranger!


I snacked on one when I got home.  It's sort of like the bread of a Fig Newton?  I wasn't a big Fig Newton eater growing up, but I liked the cookie part of it, and so I like these!  Yeah, I was watching an epi of Keeping up with the Kardashians :)


Tonight I made grilled tofu for the first time AND cooked rutabaga for the first time.  I've never even eaten a rutabaga.  It's sorta plain, like a potato?  I steamed it alongside carrots, and then drizzled a little EVOO, dill and salt on top.  Not too bad.  I bet they would taste really good roasted.  The tofu was ok, it didn't soak up the marinade enough, but I have another piece still soaking that I'll try tomorrow.



And I went on two runs today.  I know.  I didn't run all week and I have this race tomorrow.  My morning run was not that good, I was hurting and stopping, but the sun was amazing and I could feel my shoulders getting some much needed rays.  My run tonight was 10,000 times better!  My usual pace, and more enjoyable than painful.  Race recap tomorrow!

3 comments:

rena said...

I def want to try tofu soon, just not there yet ;)

send SOYJOY! :)

l.borrego said...

I actually got brave and ordered it at Pei Wei a few months ago and it was so good! Not like at some places where it's like cubed egg. I don't know how they do it. If you have a Pei Wei over there you should order it--it's then strips and really nutty, and firm. I thought it was a slice of portabello at first!

Running 365 said...

Look at you: 2 runs in 1 day! That's impressive! I wish I could do as well with my food as you've been doing.