Sunday, April 18, 2010

Weekend Recap

Friday
Birthday party #1, then dinner at Niko Niko's!


Saturday
Birthday party #2: BBQ time!  Her new hammock is fantastic and makes me want one too!


Sunday
Baby shower!  Super fun and lots of delicious food.  Still dying a little and will be paying for it this week, but whatevs.


(Oh, I forgot to post about my purchases: new pants, blouse, and earrings from LOFT, shown below!)
And cooked up this week's bird food: Thai Vegetable Curry from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites cookbook:



1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups diced eggplants (Swapped w/ squash & zucchini)
2 cups diced sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons thai curry paste (swapped w/ sriracha sauce)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups small cauliflower florets
1 cup cut green beans
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tomato, diced  (omitted)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice or lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or basil
cooked rice
3-5 sprigs fresh basil or cilantro
chopped peanuts (optional)

Directions
saute the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes

Toss in squashes, sweet potatoes, and sriracha.  Add the pineapple juice, water, and salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Throw in cauliflower and green beans and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add peppers, tomatoes, lime or lemon juice, and cilantro or basil.  Simmer until vegetables are softened.  Serve with rice, fresh herbs, and chopped peanuts.

This is tasty!  I couldn't find curry paste so I figured sriracha would be ok.  Whoa--3 tbsp is way too much.  My mouth was on fire!  I've never used/tasted sriracha sauce before so I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  I had to add more water and juice to balance it out.  This isn't supposed to be a soup, but more broth won't hurt me.  This was really quick to make and the flavors are awesome.  I made a recipe from Moosewood last week and it bombed.  I didn't even bother to share it.

All that to say I'm excited about lunch this week and I'm excited I remembered my Moosewood cookbook!  I'm going to try to flip through it each week before I go to the grocery store.

Ok Monday, let's do this.

No comments: