Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baked Tofu and Quinoa Summer Salad

I woke up around 6:30 am to get my 5 mi run out of the way. I finally made it out the door a little before 7 am and was greeted by the sun. This run was a fail for so many reasons. I didn’t eat breakfast. I opted not to take water/GU with me. Left my cap at home. iPod Shuffle died. Oh, and the sun was trying to kill me. I only made it 3 mi and decided I was dunzo. I plan on running another 3 tonight once the rays are gone. Also, it looks like I better start going to sleep a lot earlier because I’m thinking I need to be up by 5 am.

 
I came home, watched soccer, then popped in Up in the Air. I cannot review that movie right now because the soundtrack is so soothing that it knocked me out!

 
For lunch I decided I needed to make some tofu that I’ve had for a while. I was inspired by not one, but two recipes from Kath Eats Real Food and tweaked them a bit.  First..
Baked Honey Tofu
  • Slice thinly and press out liquid
  • Drizzle with honey and S&P
  • Bake at 450 for 30 mins.
I let them cook too long and so they were extra crispy (like tofu jerky or tofu chips) but were still so good! Wait.  What’s that I’m watching??

 

 
 More soccer!

 
Baked tofu might be my favorite method from now on. I'm marinating another batch in teriyaki sauce and still have plain pressed tofu for another day. Next on the menu…
Pan Grilled Veggie and Shrimp Quinoa Salad
  • Cook ¾ c. dry quinoa, set aside
  • Sautee squash, zucchini, and bell pepper in EVOO. Season with salt and oregano.
  • Add cooked shrimp, halved and defrosted. Cook until warmed through, remove from heat.
  • Add Quinoa, a handful of sliced olives, a few capers, and a much feta as your heart can justify. Mix the juice of a lemon and 2 tbsp of EVOO together and add to salad. Mix. Devour.


 
So good. This is actually perfect for a summer side/picnic. I ate a little scoop when it was still warm and then went back for a second scoop once it was cold. Both ways were great. The capers, olives, and feta really make this dish and you can use any vegetables (in fact, the original recipe has sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, and that would make for a great cold salad)
.
Also, I came across this awesome blog, World Cup Food Challenge. It looks like they create a dish inspired by the teams playing each other each day. For example, they might feature a dish from one country, or create a fusion dish inspired by two nations that are matched up. It’s so neat! They also have started a list of various ethnic restaurants around Houston. Tonight a group of us will be trying Ethiopian food!

 
Happy Wednesday!

No comments: