Tuesday, June 15, 2010

She [still] runs…

…Even though it’s hot as Hades here in Houston. I went out for a 4 mi run tonight and waited until about 8:45 pm so that it would be cooler. It was 85 but felt like 90 according to weather.com. Awesome. It wasn’t as miserable as it could have been, but I also didn’t feel I was able to really sweat. I felt like the sweat just sat on my skin.

Here in Houston the running community has been dealing with a new lottery system that’s going to be implemented for this year’s marathon and half marathon. Folks are not happy. The organizers say it’s to give more people the opportunity to participate since the race filled up in 60 hours last year. Whatever, I stayed up until midnight last year and registered! So, this semi puts a kink in my plan…

Which was to run the Houston Marathon. The whole thing. What? I don’t know who I am. I just feel like a marathon is one of those things you just have to say you’ve done once in your life, and it might as well be now. Also, I was watching the Biggest Loser when they all ran a marathon and was like, if these people can do it, I can do it. The lottery opens at the end of July and people will find out if they’re in or if they’re out mid August.

But…
I had a dream a few nights ago that I got an email saying I was the 6th person picked for the lottery, and I sorta believe (because I’m brown like that) that that’s the way it’s going to get played out.

So the summer running plan is to follow a training program for a half marathon up until registration. I need structure and I also need to get used to running longer distances again. I’m using a program from the Nike+ website.

Then I’ll register and I’ll start a 24 week marathon training program. If I don’t get picked…I’m not sure what I’ll do. The only reason I want to run a marathon in Houston is because I’ll have a lot of support here during training and the race. Plus, I just really loved the race last year. I’m not really excited to run a marathon somewhere else, but we’ll see.

Also, how happy am I with these little bottles of Gatorade?  So happy! "Half the calories, all the G"

3 comments:

rena said...

this time YOU are the crazy! but i hope you get picked!! :)

Vic said...

Love the plan, and I hope you get picked!! I'm running a full in Oct and definitely think I am nuts!

Anonymous said...

Yes- DEF run a marathon. I did it 3 years ago before my 30th b-day and I still think it is such an awesome accomplishment! I even ran the entire thing in 4 hours and 20 min! My motto the entire time was.... Oprah did it, so can I!

You can do it!