Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mesa Grill New York

My buddy that I went to New York is a major foodie.  We both obsessively watch shows like Top Chef and The Next Iron Chef and really any show that comes on Food Network.  He had never been to New York and the only thing that was on his must-do list was visit a Bobby Flay restaurant.

We were going to go to Bar Americain, but the menu = lots of meaty proteins and that didn't seem very appealing to me.  He said he was fine going to Mesa Grill instead even though he had been to the Vegas one.  EVERYTHING on the Mesa Grill menu looked amazing.

We made reservations for Friday and the earliest they could take us was 9:45 PM. How New York.  We arrived 5 mins early but had to wait 45 mins to be seated.  How New York.

We took our seats upstairs and were ready.  Clearly we had been looking at the menu all day.

We were parched, so we started with a Cactus Pear Margarita and a Coney Island Albino Python
The Cactus Pear Margarita was refreshing, smooth, and had a kick!
Up next, appetizers:

BLUE CORN PANCAKE
with Barbecued Duck
+ Habanero Chile-Star Anise Sauce
Not my favorite because I'm not a fan of duck and it was a very small portion (three bites).  I let him devour this.

ROUGH CUT TUNA NACHOS
with Mango-Habanero Hot Sauce
+ Avocado Crema
AMAZING!  If you go to Mesa Grill you must order the Tuna Nachos!  Probably the best tuna I've ever had, it melted in my mouth.  The sauces were also delicious and soooo Bobby Flay.
.
Located at the top of the photo is what I ordered for dinner:
CORNMEAL CRUSTED CHILE RELLENO
filled with Roasted Eggplant, Manchego Cheese
with Sweet Red Pepper Sauce + Balsamic Vinegar and a Pumpkin Tamale
with Allspice Butter
At the bottom of the photo:
PAN ROASTED VENISON
with Cranberries
+ Pumpkin Tamale with Allspice Butter

Stop it.  I was the winner.  The Chile Relleno was spicy but it was oozing with delicious cheese and the cornmeal crust was perfect.  However, the real highlight was the pumpkin tamale.  I will be looking for the recipe to make for Thanksgiving. 

Yes, You had to roll us out.  It was fantastic, and I was so happy to finally have a good experience at a Celebrity Chef's restaurant.  I recommend the margarita, tuna nachos, and pumpkin tamale.

Mesa Grill
www.mesagrill.com/newyorkcity/
102 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
(212) 807-7400






1 comment:

Jackie said...

You are SO fun! :)