Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies

Stop it.  My life has changed with these cookies.

I'm going to a cookie exchange tonight and have been researching the best version of this cookie.  I think I found it.

These are not set-your-mouth-on-fire cookies, though the chipotle lingers a bit in the back of your throat and you taste its smokey pepperiness.  These really do taste like Mexican hot chocolate and might be just the best chocolate cookie ever. I'm not kidding.  They were so fast to make too, make some right now!!!


Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies

Adapted from ladolcivita.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile, divided
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¾ cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats, or use non-stick pans.

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 ½ cups sugar on medium speed until pale and fluff, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, beat to combine.

3. In a small bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle. Using a cookie scooper form tablespoons of dough into balls. Lightly flatten the dough then press the tops into the cinnamon sugar mixture.

4. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake until cookies are set in center and begin to crack, about 5-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

L's Tips:
*The cookies came out perfectly in 5 mins in my oven.
(the original recipe says to keep them in 10 mins, I guess my oven was hotter or my cookies were smaller because they completely burned!)
*I used McCormick Chipotle Chile Pepper
*I was able to work continuously on the cookies using three pans: one would bake, another would cool, and I would prep the next batch of cookies on in the last.
*Next time I will use decorating sugar in the cinnamon sugar mixture for some extra sparkle!
*The original recipe said this mix yielded 3 dozen cookies.  Using the cookie scooper I made 5 1/2 dozen, one of which I burned :)

1 comment:

Laura (Bandida Blog) said...

Great recipe and great blog! Cheers!