Sunday, June 19, 2011

She swims?

I'm going to try!  While I'm very curious about getting into the tri scene, the bike scares me and is a commitment I'm not ready to make.  Luckily, many triathlons offer a relay option and on August 14th I'll be swimming in the TriGirl Sports Sprint Triathlon!
Bike, Run, Swim

I have exactly 8 weeks.  It's not a very long swim, only 300 meters, but it is open water and I don't want to suck it up.  I'll be doing lots of running in the fall so I wanted a bit of a break this summer (plus it's crazy hot and I cannot be out there longer than 5 miles without hating life and hallucinating).  Swimming will also offer some much needed cross training for my hip.

I'm also excited for a new challenge and a new race scene!

Any tips or suggestions for swimming??

5 comments:

rena said...

There was a tri training program in Women's Health..maybe this month's? I gave it to Amy - might want to message her and find out how she did on swimming, she just did her first tri 2 weeks ago and is doing another in November and maybe September too. Good luck!

Laura (Bandida Blog) said...

Swimming is a great cross-training workout, and a great workout in general. We both share the same feeling on the bike part of the Tri. I had a back accident while training for a Tri and I could never really get back into it. However, swimming is a good alternative. Definitely get some open water swims in if you can. It is definitely a different feel from swimming in a regular pool. Good luck!

Running 365 said...

Yay! I love swimming but don't do much anymore because I don't have a regular place I can swim. Get a good pair of googles that's not going to bother you and you have to mess with. I like ones like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1150.htm where the frame is all one piece and doesn't have that little adjustable piece in the middle, but some people swear by that kind too. If you haven't spend much time swimming, get someone who knows about it- trainer, swimmer friend, whoever to watch you swim and give you some tips. A little adjusting in form can make you a lot faster and make swimming a lot more enjoyable.

Running 365 said...

Oh! And my camera is a Canon Rebel XS. I couldn't figure out how to reply to your comment via email...which is really something that I'm sure isn't that hard and I need to figure out.

TX Runner Mom said...

I was a complete non-swimmer when I decided to try triathlons 3 years ago. I learned alot from watching others at the pool and from watching videos on you tube. I also went to a tri-specific swim clinic. I am not an awesome swimmer now, but I've definitely come a long way. Also, I can't emphasize how important getting in an open water swim before the race is! Look up 288 lake, it's a great place to practice!