Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fall Training Starts Next Week!

The marathon is forever away and even with a 16 week plan I wouldn't get started until September, but I already put together a training plan that starts next week!

First, let me just be honest and admit I have been doing baby runs for months now because it's summer and hot.  I went out for a 5 miler a few weeks ago and was physically super miserable even though mentally I knew I could do it.  That being said, that is not the attitude and comfort level I want to begin my marathon training with.  I am so excited about the chance to complete this race again, and while I'm all about the social aspect of races rather than the competitive part, I want major improvements!

My training begins with training for a half that takes place in October.  As you can see, marathon training overlaps the last four weeks but I should be good to go.  I figured by taking the time to train for a half I have the opportunity to start of with low milege and get into the groove and routine of training again.

Now, I know myself and my schedule once school starts.  I really thought about my plan. I was tempted to build a plan around running twice during the week plus one weekend long run.  I have decided that the goal is to complete my Thursday run once school begins, but if need be I'll cross train at home or run a quick 2 miles.  Just trying to be real with myself.

I have lots of half marathons this fall, but I'm really excited about checking out two new races.  I just decided to register for the See Jane Run half marathon in Austin and I'll be going to New Orleans to run the Iron Girl half marathon in November!

Do you love making training plans?  I love Excel.

Do you have any races coming up?

Any new or favorite events that you're excited about?

4 comments:

Running 365 said...

LOVE your training plan! I've never used Excel for that before, but I might just have to steal your idea. It's so cute how you have the little logos for all the races. I need to go ahead and make up my mind for this fall. I just agreed to be the swim leg in a triathlon relay, but it's really short.

"L" said...

Now you know once school starts it is insane. I'm trying to figure out how to balance runs/life/cross training. I want to keep swimming because it's amazing for the arms and I want to get on the bike, but getting to the gym after work is hard.

Do you do strength training?

Melissa-D said...

Your training plan looks awesome. I just made one myself, but it looks no where as fancy as yours!! Hmmm...note to self: add pretty pictures to training plan. =)

My biggest struggle is training once school starts up - between work, grading, Liam...whew...I'm exhausted already!

TX Runner Mom said...

I still need to have a training plan for NYC...the group I was going to train with cancelled their fall training group, so I am working on one of my own.