Saturday, July 30, 2011

Open Water Swim

This week I went out for my very first open water swim practice!  I really don't know anything about swim times, swimming in open water, or what to wear for a race.  I'm conviced my gym pool is not 25M so I've been swimming non-stop laps for 15 minutes.  I figured that was the best way to make sure I would have the stamina to complete the swim.  This whole training has been sort of foreign but I'm getting more and more excited about the race and I know that after it is finished I'll have ten million ideas on how to make my next swim/tri better!

Luckily, I have some pals that have gotten into tris who came with me to go for my first open water swim practice.  Things I've been/will be nervous about: Anything touching me in the water, anyone kicking me in the face, and what the water will taste like if I gag.  Thankfully the water was fine--it tasted like it came out of a water hose--and only a few little fishies were attracted to the bright blue polish on my toes.  The lake was about 40 ft deep but it didn't intimidate me, which is a huge plus!

I borrowed my friend's fancy waterproof Garmin and timed myself.  On my first attempt out swimming 380M I clocked in at 00:09:42.  I'll be swimming 300 M, and I busted out my proportion skillz and came out with a predicted time of 00:07:39.  Now, I did a little stalking to check out the results from last year and I think I would be in the middle of my age group and that makes me feel good.  I'm still a little unsure of what  the actual race conditions and start will be like, but I know that if I get a little space I can definitely swim faster, and since I'm doing a relay I'm really gonna put it all out there!

Observations: My neck was KILLING me because I kept looking up to make sure I was swimming towards my markers.  Any tips on spotting? On what the start/transition will be like??

No comments: