Friday, July 1, 2011

Swim help!

So as I mentioned before I'm getting ready to participate in a relay team for a tri. 
Now here are my big questions:

1. I need a swimsuit with built in chest support/a bra.  Can anyone get me started in the right direction?  I will have to run from the water to the transition area and that's just not going to happen in my current Speedo. 

2. I need some training direction in the pool.  How long should I swim?  I want my workout to actually be a calorie burner.  My swim for the race is only 300m, not long, but I want to do super well.  Any drills or other tips??

And I will not be wearing those goggle since they're tinted and I'll be swimming in murky water.  I just freaked out again thinking about the open water.  Have I told you how much I love chlorine?

2 comments:

Running 365 said...

Vary your swim workout so you don't get bored. Warm up with freestyle- 200 or 300 meters or so. Then do a variety of things in the middle- just legs, just arms, sprint down/slow back, see how far you can swim without taking a breath, right arm only, left arm only, different strokes, etc. Practice your 300m somewhere in there so you can decide how to pace yourself. Cool down with 100 or 200 meters or so.

Here are some more specific workouts: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528

Laura (Bandida Blog) said...

I agree with running 365, make sure to vary your workouts or you will get vary bored. I would also incorporate some aqua jogging into your workout for the first 15 minutes and than swim a good workout after. I have used this website to help me vary my workouts. http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swim-cgi/

AS for the swimsuit issue, It seems so difficult to find a swimsuit with support. I would look into the TYR triathletes brands and of course good ol Speedo.

I hope this helps! Good luck!