Sunday, August 14, 2011

Race Recap: TriGirl Sprint (Relay)

Today is the last day of my summer.  Tomorrow it's back to the daily grind.  Hopefully, that grind will be a good combo of work and training!

This morning was the TriGirl Sprint Triathlon.  I picked up my packet and was excited to see so many goodies.  I was especially pumped about the super soft women's size shirt and the fun cup.  Perfect for work.
 The back of the shirt had this fun surprise:

Here is our official Team Tri Amigas photo!

We arrived to the race at 6 a.m.  We had plenty of time before the 7:25 a.m. start and were able to scope out what we were getting into.  This was the first time any of us had participating in a tri and was Lita's first bike race.  Thankfully, there were plenty of super helpful volunteers on hand.

This is the lake I was supposed to swim in,  7+ feet below normal!

The swim portion of the race was replaced with a 1 mi run.  Mia did a fabulous job!
 Next was the transition.  We had a plan:

It worked!  Lita was off to start her first ever bike race!  We saw a few people have trouble on the bike: a chain came off, someone left without their helmet, someone left with their helmet on backwards, and one woman returned back with serious road rash on her back.  I was nervous for my friend, but we had all agreed to do our best and stay safe! 


She had a great 11 mi ride and then it was my turn.  By 8:40 the sun was blazing! I took advantage of the two water stops along the 5K by dumping water on my head and taking a few sips of Gatorade.  I was so impressed with the women of all ages who ran alongside me who had completed the entire tri! (And a little jealous of them...it's time to start saving a few pennies for a bike!)
 We finished in 1 hr 30 mins!  I'm proud of us!  We each did our best and had a blast.


 And of course, you've gotta to celebrate with a post-race brunch!
      Tri Amigas
1 mi run:    09:28
T1:             00:49
11 mi bike: 46:32
T2:             00:36
5K run:      33:12

2 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

I am so jealous! THe 1st year I don't do this race and they give cute shirts AND medals???? Awesome! Great job!

Robin said...

Love the pictures. www.dashingdiva.net